Tracking your food waste is very helpful in pinpointing reasons for wasted food and can reduce costs by helping to tailor food purchases.

However, individual results may vary depending on preparation methods and materials, reuse of leftovers, and type of food service.  For example, a full-service, sit-down restaurants are more likely to generate higher volumes of food waste compared to fast-food or take-out restaurants.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports that up to 10 percent of food purchased by commercial entities is thrown out before even reaching a plate, after which the average person leaves about 20 percent of their food uneaten.  This, in turn, has helped the total food waste losses in America’s commercial and industrial sectors reach approximately 30 to 40 billion dollars annually. Typically, grocery stores account for about 10 percent of food waste, restaurants are responsible for 30 percent, other food service makes up 10 percent, and a staggering 42 percent happens in consumers’ homes.

The decomposition of this uneaten food in landfills accounts for 23 percent of U.S. methane emissions.

How much food are you wasting?

A popular way to estimate the total amount of food waste produced by a single facility is through daily tracking programs.  Unfortunately, these programs can take time a substantial amount of time and may require contracting or purchasing services. Fortunately, through the use of new and advanced technologies, there is now an easier way to take the guess work out of tracking your food waste.

How much food are you wasting? The EcoSafe Digester will let you know!

How much food are you wasting? The EcoSafe Digester will let you know!

In order to make things as easy as possible for those looking to improve their food waste disposal, the Eco-Safe Digester offered by American Waste & Recycling, LLC utilizes a smart system linked to BioHitech’s cloud (Biobrain) that adds intelligence to the mechanical work. That’s right, in addition to the obvious monetary and environmental benefits, Eco-Safe Digester also works to identify the trends and inefficiencies within businesses that leads to waste. This allows customers to not only understand the historical patterns of food waste, but also gives them the information they need to take steps to avoid it in the first place.

With these analytical tools, technicians can view and track information about digestion rates, utility usage, hours of operation, maintenance issues and other features of the digester’s work. If problems arise, such as interruption of digestion or any other anomalies, a real time notification system allows BioHitech to respond quickly.

The Eco-Safe Digester output does not contain any harmful chemicals and is discharged into the public sewerage system, so there is no requirement to obtain approval from any environment agencies or local water authorities. As for installation, the machine requires a hot and cold water supply, 208V – 30 amp – 3 phase electricity, and a 3″ to 4″ floor drain. Then, once the plumbing and electrical roughing are completed by the customer, installation can usually be completed in one day.

In a recent article published by Forbes, the Eco-Safe Digester was recognized as one of the top innovative devices in the world of food waste disposal.

Now, thanks to this revolutionary device, companies can view the financial and environmental benefits of their new food waste initiatives with the simple push of a button.

 

 

Save